- Table View
- List View
For courses in English Composition. The acclaimed rhetorical modes reader, with remarkably detailed writing guidance Best-seller The Longman Reader includes its abundant and highly praised pedagogy as well as a wealth of readings organized by patterns of development (an alternative table of contents organizes them thematically). The opening chapters focus on reading critically and the writing process. The subsequent chapters begin with detailed writing instruction, including an annotated student paper and revision and peer review checklists, and end with professional essays. These new and beloved professional essays range widely in subject matter and approach - from the humorous to the informative, from personal meditation to argument - and capture students' interest while demonstrating specific patterns of development. The Longman Reader shares the same readings and other core material with The Longman Writer.
Clear, step-by-step writing instruction, ample annotated student essays, and extensive practice opportunities for writing have made The Longman Writer one of the most successful methods-of-development guides for college writing. Created by the authors of the best-selling Longman Reader, the text draws on decades of teaching experience to integrate the best of the "product" and "process" approaches to writing. Its particular strengths include an emphasis on the reading-writing connection, a focus on invention and revision, attention to the fact that patterns blend in actual writing, and an abundance of class-tested activities and assignments--more than 350 in all.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.