- Table View
- List View
A sense of adventure and the thrill of outwitting the grown-ups are driving forces in the lives of the four Cares children. Theodore, at thirteen, can be bossy and mean, and the others find ways to rebel against him. To ten-year-old Jane her big brother is both a tower of strength and a source of endless frustration and outrage. Eight-year-old Hubert can bring forth amazing nuggets of insight, and five-year-old Edie is always scrambling to keep up with the others and ready to tattle to Nurse or Father. Because their mother is dead and their father is often away from home, the Cares children have the freedom to hatch their schemes and fight their battles with little interference. Theodore catches a fox and hides it in the woodshed; Jane and Hubert sneak away for a day in the city; the boys train their ponies for a real steeplechase over the fields. When the drugstore in town is robbed, they all set to work to apprehend the burglar. The novel portrays very real children and their world of nearly a century ago.
A year has passed since the events recounted in A Lemon and a Star. The grownups are making valiant efforts to educate the children and turn them into ladies and gentlemen, but the kids put up a fierce resistance. First a French governess arrives to fill the gaps in Jane's education. Later she is packed off to a girls' school. Aunt Charlotte insists on dancing lessons for Jane and Hubert, and requires all three of the older children to attend a fancy costume ball - with disastrous results.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.