- Table View
- List View
A sense of adventure and the thrill of outwitting the grown-ups are driving forces in the lives of the four Cares children. Theodore, at thirteen, can be bossy and mean, and the others find ways to rebel against him. To ten-year-old Jane her big brother is both a tower of strength and a source of endless frustration and outrage. Eight-year-old Hubert can bring forth amazing nuggets of insight, and five-year-old Edie is always scrambling to keep up with the others and ready to tattle to Nurse or Father. Because their mother is dead and their father is often away from home, the Cares children have the freedom to hatch their schemes and fight their battles with little interference. Theodore catches a fox and hides it in the woodshed; Jane and Hubert sneak away for a day in the city; the boys train their ponies for a real steeplechase over the fields. When the drugstore in town is robbed, they all set to work to apprehend the burglar. The novel portrays very real children and their world of nearly a century ago.
A year has passed since the events recounted in A Lemon and a Star. The grownups are making valiant efforts to educate the children and turn them into ladies and gentlemen, but the kids put up a fierce resistance. First a French governess arrives to fill the gaps in Jane's education. Later she is packed off to a girls' school. Aunt Charlotte insists on dancing lessons for Jane and Hubert, and requires all three of the older children to attend a fancy costume ball - with disastrous results.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.