- Table View
- List View
From the outside, the Knowles family appeared to have it all: a loving marriage, two beautiful children, a home in an idyllic part of the countryside in upstate New York. Michael is a rising OB/GYN at a prominent private practice, and his wife, Annie, teaches at a local college. But Annie's role as the doctor's wife has worn thin, and Michael has answered the call of an old flame to moonlight at the local women's health center, the city's only provider of abortions. These subtle cracks in their life widen when anonymous threats arrive at their home. The reason for this intimidation is not at all clear?is it, as seems to be the case, the work of religious extremists opposed to what Michael is doing? Or are these violent warnings meant for Annie? For she has made at least one certain enemy in town--Lydia Haas, the painter's wife, a disturbed young woman with a cellar full of her own dark secrets. Told in the alternating viewpoints of Michael, Annie, Simon, and Lydia, four fascinating and complex characters, The Doctor's Wife is steeped in psychological suspense, compelling and compulsively readable.
A psychological thriller of secrets, dark motives, and an adoption buried in the past. At the center of Elizabeth Brundage's new novel lies an adoption under stressed and tragic circumstances. Willa, brought up in elegant prosperity, is now a student at the prestigious Pioneer School. But her biological father, a failing writer and former drug addict, can't live with himself without seeing her again. In this idyllic Berkshires landscape, Willa's adoptive parents have fled a mysterious past; a feminist sculptor initiates a reckless affair; teenagers live in a world to which adults turn a blind eye; and the headmaster's wife is busy keeping her husband's disastrous history and current indiscretions well hidden. The culmination of these forces is the collision of two very different fathers--biological and adoptive--and a villain whose ends and means slowly unfold with the help, witting and unwitting, of all around him. Somebody Else's Daughter delivers an electric, suspenseful tale of richly conflicted characters and the disturbed landscape of the American psyche.
"A pithy, ironic L. A. noir full of broken dreams and snappy repartee. " -Stewart O'Nan After years of working a dead-end job at an insurance company in New Jersey, Hugh Waters finally sells his screenplay to a major Hollywood studio. But when the young, Ivy League hotshot Hedda Chase takes over as top executive, she finds his story violent, unconvincing, and riddled with clichés, and quickly pulls the plug on the deal. So Hugh hops on a plane to L. A. hoping to talk things over-or perhaps he'll find another way to prove that his script isn't so implausible after all. . . Evocative of Patricia Highsmith, and set against high-voltage backdrops from Hollywood to Abu Dhabi, A Stranger Like You is a taut and terrifying thriller about the lengths to which we'll go to make our dreams come true.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.