- Table View
- List View
In 1940, Fala came to live with President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the White House. On sunny days, the little dog played in the grass outside the Oval Office. He attended important meetings with the president's advisors.
An intriguing exploration of a favorite pastime -- a trip to the beach. "One night in 1883, David Bradley's candy stand was swamped by a storm. Not one to take a direct hit from adversity, the next day he decided to call his candy salt water taffy. Although the taffy's been dry ever since, the name has stuck for the past hundred years." Did you know that women once wore corsets under their bathing suits (all drowning risks aside)? Or that beach-goers donned everything from wings to webbed gloves in hopes of learning how to swim? Or that hotel entrepreneurs lured wealthy customers to their seaside resorts with breakfast serenades from a forty-piece orchestra? From the bathhouses of the ancient Greeks to Muscle Beach and Coney Island, Let's Go to the Beach takes a historical, sociological, and geographical look at beaches and their attendant customs. With humor and intelligence, Elizabeth Van Steenwyk offers up an impressive overview of one of the world's greatest pastimes.
The year 1941 was pivotal in U. S. history. It was a time of transition and a time of waiting, waiting for events to occur that would change many lives forever. For eleven-year-old Maggie Calhoun it was a time of waiting, too. She was waiting for her mom's new baby to be born and waiting for her dad to get a new job out in California making airplanes for the war that was coming. That's why she and her brother, Cooper, were spending the summer with Uncle Dick and Aunt Bess in Oquawka. But Maggie was also waiting for something she couldn't name -- waiting to discover a secret she felt was being kept from her by her own family, a secret that involved her past and her future. A secret that would help her understand who she really was. With warmth and humor, author Elizabeth Van Steenwyk captures small town life in the Midwest during a unique time in America's history. She also gently reveals one young girl's self-discovery and growth during a special summer.
Sled-dog racing means everything to Scott McClure. It also helps keep his father's memory alive. Scott plans to form a new team of three sled dogs so that he can continue racing and become a champion like his dad. But life changes quickly when his mother remarries and they move from California to Montana. From the start, Scott has problems with his stepfather and his stepbrother, Brad. Scott won't let anything interfere with his dreams as he trains and races Kaylah, his Malamute, and the other dogs on the team. But Scott doesn't know the obstacles he must face.
In occupied Holland in 1944, thirteen-year-old Pieter becomes increasingly involved in the work of the Dutch Resistance even though he knows the risk of being discovered by the Nazi informer who lives in his village.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.