Word Family Tales are humorous read-aloud stories created to build early phonics skills by teaching children to recognize "families" of words that share the same spelling pattern. This key reading strategy helps kids decode new words with ease--and become stronger readers, writers, and spellers. Set learners on the path to literacy success with these rib-tickling tales--one for each of the top 25 word families!
Gus loves being a turkey, that is, until his friends tell him about Thanksgiving. Pilgrims--no problem; feast--NO WAY! So Gus heads south, the way birds do, to escape being part of someone's dinner. He's surprised to see where he ends up, but most of all he's surprised to find he's a Pilgrim, too! Teresa Bateman's spunky Gus is perfectly captured by Ellen Sasaki's sassy pictures. Children will laugh at loud at this new turkey tale, perfect for Thanksgiving and story hours year-round. The author is from Washington State. The illustrator is from California.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.