- Table View
- List View
The American Presidency explores the lives and contributions of the people who have held the office, from George Washington to Barack Obama. Each presidential profile includes a detailed biography, the president's signature, who served as vice president, a profile of the first lady and timelines. With additional articles covering the Presidential Election Process, Cabinet, White House, election results and presidential seal and flag history, The American Presidency provides a rich journey through US history.
Introduces children to animals.
The human brain has been studied for millennia, but in the past decades huge advances have occurred in neurology that have allowed scientists to reassess what we really know about the least understood part of the human body. Using technology that allows researchers to see deeper into the physical organ and record new discoveries, the latest theories affect not just our understanding of biology but also raise questions concerning consciousness, the mind and neuro-plasticity. We can now observe the activity of the brain as it performs different functions; with scanning technology we can chart the neural pathways and devise maps. The explorations have revealed surprising results. The Britannica Guide series offers an essential introduction to many of the key issues of our times. Clear, accurate, and meticulously researched the series gives both the background and analysis for when you need to know for sure what is really happening in the world, whether you are an expert, student or traveller.
Introduces children to colors.
The examination of the causes and effects of climate change on the environment is adapted from articles to be included in current and upcoming editions of Compton's Encyclopedia. Climate, ecology, and environmental pollution are the main subjects with each area subdivided into sections including the greenhouse effect, biogeography, endangered species, and environmentalism.
Shows children different activities to have fun.
Shows children the different types of social interactions (families, friends, etc.).
Explains different aspects that make up a person's identity.
The 12 main volumes of this work are designed to engage children ages 7 to 11 who are interested in developing their background knowledge on broad topics like technology, people and culture, places, and science. Each volume is devoted to a specific area of study, for example, The Arts, People in History, and Mammals. Entire volumes are devoted to Africa, the Americas, and Europe, but Asia, Australia, and New Zealand share a single volume. Coverage is representative rather then comprehensive. For example, the "Literature" section in The Arts volume has entries for nine writers, among them Basho, Emily Dickinson, and Wole Soyinka.
When the International Astronomical Union recently redefined the term 'planet'; Pluto was stripped of its designation as the solar system's ninth planet. New Views of the Solar System looks at scientists' changing perspectives on the solar system, with articles on Pluto, the eight chief planets, and dwarf planets that illustrate this 'new view'; Brilliant photos and drawings showcase the planets, asteroids, comets, and more, providing a stunning collection of vivid and detailed images of the solar system.
Introduces numbers to children.
Introduces children to different places.
In this book, you will: discover interesting things about shapes, learn new words, answer fun questions, play a shape matching game, find more shape activities at the back of the book.
Introduces children to different kinds of sounds and what a sound is.
Introduces children to letters and words.
Children can learn about families, communities, and cooperation with this interactive picture activity book. Also included are activities designed to develop early map skills, introduce national symbols, and increase children's knowledge of holidays.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.