- Table View
- List View
In Tourist Season, award-winning author Enid Shomer offers ten brilliant, richly detailed unforgettable stories of resilient women, aged seventeen to seventy, each at a pivotal point in her life. Their journeys cross distances of place and mind: A middle-aged Floridian who learns that she is the reincarnation of a Buddhist saint takes daring steps on her path to enlightenment; a long-buried secret forces one woman to leave the daughter she deeply loves; a Radcliffe student faces shocking family truths and taboos during the summer of 1966; an unexpected kinship forms between two women who land in a county jail after an excursion to Las Vegas. These travelers wander through shifting emotional landscapes of love, sex, and relationships, and often miss the destinations they'd wished to reach-of insight, connection, and understanding. Whether journeying to new geographical locales or exploring uncharted personal terrain, Tourist Season offers a provocative, engaging, and often humorous road map of the heart and soul."[When reading Enid Shomer's stories,] the thing one quickly senses is the will and the voice, someone saying, in effect, 'Relax, be comfortable, I'm going to take good care of you.' These are very fine stories."-James Salter, in Imaginary Men"Beautifully made, surprising and inevitable, wonderfully inventive and deeply true, these stories are full of small, irreverent, straight-faced miracles. They will lead women of all ages to suspect that the best may be yet to come."--Pam Houston, author of Cowboys Are My Weakness and Sight HoundFrom the Trade Paperback edition.
Shomer's keen observation of human nature is displayed in these ten mesmerizing stories about women charting unfamiliar territory.
He was a notorious womaniser, consorted with countless prostitutes and was yet to write a word of Madame Bovary. She would become the Lady of the Lamp, the heroic saviour of wounded Crimean War soldiers. Both at painful crossroads in their lives, burning with unfulfilled ambition, Gustave Flaubert and Florence Nightingale made simultaneous voyages on the Nile. In reality they never met, but in the imaginative leap taken by award-winning author Enid Shomer, the two ignite a passionate friendship that will alter both their destinies. Together, and with a cast of unforgettable characters, real and imagined, these unlikely soul mates share their darkest torments and most fervent hopes. Brimming with adventure and the sparkling sensibilities of the two travellers, this mesmerising novel offers gorgeous prose and wild imagination, coloured by the rich tapestry of nineteenth century Egypt, and brings to vivid life two of history's most captivating personalities. Author photo Enid Shomer won the Iowa Fiction Prize for her first collection of stories Imaginary Men, and the Florida Gold Medal for her second, Tourist Season. She is also the author of four books of poetry. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, The Paris Review, and many other publications. She lives in Tampa, Florida. The Twelve Rooms of the Nile is her first novel.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.