- Table View
- List View
This free sampler features extended excerpts from six novels coming in 2012 from Simon & Schuster. The books and authors presented in this sampler include In One Person, the first new novel in three years from John Irving, Carry the One by Carol Anshaw, Gold by Chris Cleave, author of Little Bee, In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner, The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer, and The Green Shore by Natalie Bakopoulos. In addition to these exclusive previews, the sample includes interviews with the writers and commentary from the books' editors.
Shomer's keen observation of human nature is displayed in these ten mesmerizing stories about women charting unfamiliar territory.
He was a notorious womaniser, consorted with countless prostitutes and was yet to write a word of Madame Bovary. She would become the Lady of the Lamp, the heroic saviour of wounded Crimean War soldiers. Both at painful crossroads in their lives, burning with unfulfilled ambition, Gustave Flaubert and Florence Nightingale made simultaneous voyages on the Nile. In reality they never met, but in the imaginative leap taken by award-winning author Enid Shomer, the two ignite a passionate friendship that will alter both their destinies. Together, and with a cast of unforgettable characters, real and imagined, these unlikely soul mates share their darkest torments and most fervent hopes. Brimming with adventure and the sparkling sensibilities of the two travellers, this mesmerising novel offers gorgeous prose and wild imagination, coloured by the rich tapestry of nineteenth century Egypt, and brings to vivid life two of history's most captivating personalities. Author photo Enid Shomer won the Iowa Fiction Prize for her first collection of stories Imaginary Men, and the Florida Gold Medal for her second, Tourist Season. She is also the author of four books of poetry. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, The Paris Review, and many other publications. She lives in Tampa, Florida. The Twelve Rooms of the Nile is her first novel.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.