- Table View
- List View
An encyclopedic collection of vegetarian recipes from Italy--learn how to make all of the classic dishes without meat"Even though man can draw all he needs in the way of nourishment from a mere handful of seeds and fruit, he must not give up a proper meal." --Enrico AlliataEnrico Alliata, the Duke of Salaparuta (1879-1946), was a utopian gourmand and winemaker who espoused a vegetarian lifestyle and a raw foods diet at a time when the very notion was unheard of. He worked for decades to systematically re-imagine classic Italian dishes without meat. The result, first published in 1930, is a timeless reference work, with dishes that are surprising, inventive, and often decadent. Early chapters like "Appetizers and Salads" include recipes for inventive vegetarian sandwiches and crostini, as well as refreshing salads (and even a recipe for simple homemade ricotta cheese). "Broths and Purees" includes rich and flavorful vegetable broths, hearty purees, and pasta in broth, like vegetarian 'Agnollotti' in broth filled with parmesan and walnuts. The "First Courses, Pasta Dishes and Timballi" chapter is a comprehensive collection of authentic Italian recipes for gnocchi, risotto, polenta, ravioli, from Risotto 'alla Milanese' with saffron, nutmeg, and parmesan to Sicilian Style Gnocchi, with fried eggplant and tomato sauce. "Luncheon Dishes, Vegetables, Legumes and Side Dishes" features preparations for eggplant and artichokes, and is a great go-to for quick side dishes and lighter vegetarian meals. His main dishes chapters include a variety of casseroles and soufflés, and the Duke even has several preparations for mock meats, such as vegetarian "Foie Gras Mousse" made with ricotta cheese and black truffles. Much more than a recipe book, The Duke's Table is a major re-discovery and a fascinating look into the philosophy of a food revolutionary who was truly before his time.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.