Legome (emergency medicine, SUNY Downstate Medical School Brooklyn) and Shockley (emergency medicine, U. of Colorado) provide a 42-chapter overview of trauma care from the perspective of emergency medicine, for students and clinicians who care for patients with emergency presentations of traumatic injuries. Emergency medicine specialists from the US cover various aspects of care, including decision making, mechanism of injury, the initial approach, multiple casualties and disaster preparedness, airway, trauma to various body regions, and special considerations like trauma in pregnancy, geriatric trauma, sexual assault, injury prevention, rural trauma care, and pain management. Additional chapters address imaging, anesthesia, fluid and blood component therapy administration, procedures, wound management, universal/standard precautions, and administrative aspects like professionalism, communication and interpersonal issues, research, and nursing. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.