- Table View
- List View
Rick Dadier accepts a position as teacher at a vocational school. He idealistically tries to break through to and teach these kids whom Rick's disillutioned colleagues consider to be trash and unteachable. This is a shatteringly brutal story of life in a New York slum school. It paints a vivid picture of young hoodlums in the making and their teachers fighting a vain and losing battle to bring a semblance of decency and honesty into their lives.
Benjamin Thorpe, married, a father, a successful Los Angeles architect, is alone in New York City on business, and on a compulsive search for female companionship. His dizzying descent leads to an early morning confrontation in a midtown bordello and a searing self-revelation. Part two of the book moves onto the scene of crime where three detectives are discussing a homicide. The victim is a young prostitute whose path crossed Benjamin Thorpe's the night before. Emma Boyle of the Special Victims Unit is assigned to the case. As the foggy events of the previous night come into sharper focus, Thorpe becomes an ever more possible suspect. Shocking, bold and compulsively readable Candyland is an exciting thriller that readers will find hard to put down.
A family as raw and unyielding as the soil of the Virginia farm they left behind, they pursued their dream, journeying west across the American continent. In a boundless land of unimaginable dangers, they discovered their own will for survival -- and forged a triumph of the human spirit.
"It almost seemed as if winter had already come." Those were the final words of Last Summer. In this, Evan Hunter's new novel, winter has indeed arrived-and Sandy, David, and Peter are together again. Sandy, David, and Peter five years later. The searing summer of Rhoda is far behind them. More stylish and sophisticated than they were as adolescents, each complete in the presence of the other, they form a brilliant trio: handsome, intelligent, witty, humorous, impregnable-and deadly. Into their dazzling orbit come Foderman and Mary Margaret. What happens to them all, in the days before Christmas, is as chilling as the snow-covered terrain surrounding them, as terror-ridden as the trails they ski. COME WINTER is an unforgettable exploration into the nature of evil.
It's two o'clock in the morning when Andrew Gulliver gets a phone call from his mother, who tells him his twin sister, Annie, is gone. This is not the first time. Ever since she was sixteen, she's been taking off without notice to places as far distant as Papua New Guinea, then returning unexpectedly, only to disappear yet another time, again and again and again. But this time is different. Last month, Annie got into serious trouble in Sicily and was briefly held in a mental hospital, where an Italian doctor diagnosed her as schizophrenic. Andrew's divorced mother refuses to accept this diagnosis. Andrew himself just isn't sure. But during the course of a desperate twelve hours in New York City, he and the Gulliver family piece together the past and cope with the present in a journey of revelation and self-discovery. Recognizing the truth at last, Andrew can only hope to find his beloved sister before she harms herself or someone else. The Moment She Was Gone,a shattering novel of a family confronting its collective secrets, marks the high point in a writing career spanning almost five decades.
"Make the World Safe for Democracy!" "Remember Pearl Harbor!" "Hell, No, We Won't Go!" Three wars . . . three eras . . . three men . . . Bert, Will and Wat Tyler . . . the battles they fought, the women they loved, the passions that swayed them, the decisions they made in war and peace--and traces the individual destinies of three vivid human beings who each went his own way, and paid his own price.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.