- Table View
- List View
Rick Dadier accepts a position as teacher at a vocational school. He idealistically tries to break through to and teach these kids whom Rick's disillutioned colleagues consider to be trash and unteachable. This is a shatteringly brutal story of life in a New York slum school. It paints a vivid picture of young hoodlums in the making and their teachers fighting a vain and losing battle to bring a semblance of decency and honesty into their lives.
Benjamin Thorpe, married, a father, a successful Los Angeles architect, is alone in New York City on business, and on a compulsive search for female companionship. His dizzying descent leads to an early morning confrontation in a midtown bordello and a searing self-revelation. Part two of the book moves onto the scene of crime where three detectives are discussing a homicide. The victim is a young prostitute whose path crossed Benjamin Thorpe's the night before. Emma Boyle of the Special Victims Unit is assigned to the case. As the foggy events of the previous night come into sharper focus, Thorpe becomes an ever more possible suspect. Shocking, bold and compulsively readable Candyland is an exciting thriller that readers will find hard to put down.
A family as raw and unyielding as the soil of the Virginia farm they left behind, they pursued their dream, journeying west across the American continent. In a boundless land of unimaginable dangers, they discovered their own will for survival -- and forged a triumph of the human spirit.
"It almost seemed as if winter had already come." Those were the final words of Last Summer. In this, Evan Hunter's new novel, winter has indeed arrived-and Sandy, David, and Peter are together again. Sandy, David, and Peter five years later. The searing summer of Rhoda is far behind them. More stylish and sophisticated than they were as adolescents, each complete in the presence of the other, they form a brilliant trio: handsome, intelligent, witty, humorous, impregnable-and deadly. Into their dazzling orbit come Foderman and Mary Margaret. What happens to them all, in the days before Christmas, is as chilling as the snow-covered terrain surrounding them, as terror-ridden as the trails they ski. COME WINTER is an unforgettable exploration into the nature of evil.
It's two o'clock in the morning when Andrew Gulliver gets a phone call from his mother, who tells him his twin sister, Annie, is gone. This is not the first time. Ever since she was sixteen, she's been taking off without notice to places as far distant as Papua New Guinea, then returning unexpectedly, only to disappear yet another time, again and again and again. But this time is different. Last month, Annie got into serious trouble in Sicily and was briefly held in a mental hospital, where an Italian doctor diagnosed her as schizophrenic. Andrew's divorced mother refuses to accept this diagnosis. Andrew himself just isn't sure. But during the course of a desperate twelve hours in New York City, he and the Gulliver family piece together the past and cope with the present in a journey of revelation and self-discovery. Recognizing the truth at last, Andrew can only hope to find his beloved sister before she harms herself or someone else. The Moment She Was Gone,a shattering novel of a family confronting its collective secrets, marks the high point in a writing career spanning almost five decades.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.