- Table View
- List View
"I'll fix it for you. You don't have to cry," said the tall man with the deep, Barry White kind of voice. But Audrey Roberts wasn't just crying about her flat tire. Her tears were for things that couldn't be mended. After all, how do you fix the pain of finding your lawyer husband in bed with someone else? And how do you heal the wound of having your only son face trial for a murder he insists he didn't commit? Houston cop Kirk Maxwell might not have known the details of Audrey's life, but he could recognize a person who had reached a breaking point. He had reached his own after the death of his wife. Now he's responding to Audrey's with a surge of protectiveness -- and passion. But Audrey soon finds that Maxwell's affections have created a dangerous dilemma for both of them. Realizing that Maxwell was the arresting officer in her son's case, Audrey must decide what is more important: fighting for her child...or her own heart.
Bobble Strickland, an Austin elementary school principal, didn't really believe ex-army officer Ray Caldwell was coming on to her. She wasn't a young girl anymore, and, besides, she had bigger priorities than a relationship -- such as fighting her own daughter in court for custody of her grandchild. Yet, strong, honest Ray had the "right stuff" to make her feel like a desirable woman again. He had come back to Texas to heal, stunned by a divorce he never expected. Soon, he was entangled in Bobble's life, increasingly worried about the violence surrounding her daughter, Darlene, who was caught up in a web of drug addiction and secrets. Neither Bobbie nor Ray guessed how desperately Darlene was fighting to escape the demons of her past...in a drama that would test the strength of African-American faith and family values and all the courage in a woman's heart.
"Does it have a name?" Vivian asked Walter. What would be the proper question to ask her husband of nearly twenty years, when he brings home his illegitimate baby as casually as a bag of groceries? Although Walter's frequent infidelities became increasingly obvious to Vivian, she struggled to accept them. After all, she reasoned, they came with the Mercedes, the beautiful house, and the prestige of being Mrs. Carlson, the Texas state representative's better half. Having long since abandoned her attempts at motherhood, Vivian resigned herself to her law studies and a lonely existence as the perfect political wife in suburban Austin. But Vivian draws the line at her husband's unexpected arrival. And once one line is drawn, she discovers that she can draw others. Left alone with this tiny, helpless bundle that disgusts and fascinates her, Vivian faces some of the hardest choices of her life. On the brink of a long-forgotten freedom, she begins the painful, empowering process of rebuilding her shattered life -- and the reawakening of her soul to the possibilities of love. An emotionally charged, razor-sharp take on the myriad challenges facing women today, Evelyn Palfrey's witty and suspenseful novel establishes her as a refreshing new voice in contemporary women's fiction.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.