- Table View
- List View
In the picture-perfect seaside village of Lady Helen, South Africa, Monica Brunetti has the life of her dreams--two adopted sons, fulfilling work, loyal friends and a special closeness with her former housekeeper, Francina. What's more, she's in love. Then everything comes tumbling down. Monica's happiness is destroyed by a young girl's resentment. Francina, too, is plunged into grief. And a series of crimes rocks the village. Yet Monica must go on, as a mother and a journalist and a woman of faith--who believes, even in her darkest hour, that the risks of love are worth taking.
A loving husband, two beautiful adopted sons, an amiable stepdaughter and the possibility of an addition to the family--Monica Brunetti has it all. But suddenly her idyllic life in a picturesque South African village unravels. Her boys respond to the siren call of America, and her husband's daughter may be leaving as well. Change might be easier to bear if only a baby were on the way. . . . Then Monica's friend Francina, also threatened with an empty nest, sets off on what may be a fool's errand--or her household's salvation. Can Monica, too, find the faith and courage to reunite her family?
South African journalist Monica Brunetti had it all- promising career, loving family, marriage-minded boyfriend. Then a life-changing encounter landed her in a hospital bed next to gregarious Ella Nkhoma, whose wit and caring challenged Monica's worldview. Their remarkable friendship would lead Monica far from the gated white suburbs, and toward a parting that left both women transformed-and Monica the mother of two sons.
When journalist Monica Brunetti enters the town of Lady Helen, she is awed by its beauty. The picturesque South African village takes hold of her heart, especially the beleaguered residents of Sandpiper Drift, who are threatened with eviction from their tranquil neighborhood beside the lagoon. And so Monica packs up her laptop, her adopted sons and her housekeeper, Francina--who's wrestling with a major decision of her own--for the journey of a lifetime.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.