- Table View
- List View
From The Rules of BusinessRule #1 The first rule of business is the same as the first rule of life: Adapt or die."What gets measured, gets done."--Peter DruckerRule #8 Nothing is more overrated than a new idea. Ideas by themselves are worthless. It's what you do with them that matters."Bet on the jockey, not on the horse." --Malcolm Forbes "Best practices usually aren't."--Christopher Locke, co-author, The Cluetrain ManifestoRule #49 If it is not right, don't do it; if it is not true, don't say it. "If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room."--Dame Anita Roddick, founder, The Body ShopIn THE RULES OF BUSINESS, Fast Company's renowned editor in chief, John Byrne and the writers and editors of Fast Company, distill the major ideas and principles of the world of business into fifty-five essential rules. These rules are elaborated on and enhanced by quotes and insights from over 200 business leaders, practitioners, and thinkers into what is sure to be an essential desk reference for managers, professionals, and executives-to-be.Published on the tenth anniversary of the magazine, FAST COMPANY'S THE RULES OF BUSINESS features the essential principles behind today's most important business topics, from customer service to innovation, from strategic thinking to leadership and management. The book introduces each category with a two-page commentary, and weaves two to four essential rules throughout every chapter. At the end of each chapter a boxed, bulleted "Fast Take" section gives readers specific takeaways they can use in their day-to-day work. The heart of each chapter, however, is the quotes and insights on the subject culled from the great minds in business, both living and historical--leaders and thinkers such as Machiavelli and Jack Welch, Adam Smith and his invisible hand and Tom Peters on marketing Me, Inc., Michael Porter on (what else?) strategy and A.G. Lafley, Jeff Bezos on the perils of hiring the wrong person and Bill Gates on the value of information technology, Anne Mulcahy and Warren Buffett, and many more.FAST COMPANY'S THE RULES OF BUSINESS is the ultimate desk reference.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.