- Table View
- List View
Hailed by "People," the "New York Times," "Food & Wine," and other media around the country as the perfect choice for any cook, this is the most wide-ranging and extensively home-tested collection of its kind. The 150-plus finds range from Minted Pea Soup from the British cooking sensation Jamie Oliver to sausage and biscuit nibbles from the singer George Jones.
Good news. The good fats -- butter, chocolate, eggs, coconut, olive oil, avocado, fish and shellfish, among many other favorites -- are not only delicious, they're good for your brain, heart, immune system, hormones, skin, memory, and emotional well-being. Whatever you think you know about fat, forget it. After two decades of the low-fat diet trend, Americans are fatter -- and less healthy -- than ever before. For many, those torturous no-fat, low-fat diets are outright health hazards, contributing to everything from premature wrinkling and depression to hormone dysfunction and even cancer. In The Good Fat Cookbook, best-selling author Fran McCullough delivers the delicious news. Here is powerful evidence that not only have we been sold a bill of low-fat goods, but the foods we love to eat -- real butter, chocolate, coconut, whole milk and cream, nuts, avocados, cold-water fish, red meat, olive oil, bacon and eggs -- are actually good for us. Not only does fat not make you fat, the good fats slow the effects of aging, improve mood and memory, boost the immune system, and protect against catastrophic disease such as stroke and cancer. And the most surprising news of all: the right fats are great tools for weight loss -- they make you fuller faster and for longer and jump-start your metabolism. McCullough debunks fat myths and demystifies cutting-edge science, while exploring all aspects of the fat phenomenon, fork in hand. More than a hundred simple recipes -- Salmon Chowder, Tuna with Rice, Deep-Fried Coconut Shrimp, Parsley Salad with Avocado, Chicken with Olives and Oranges, Grilled Cheese with Oregano, Crisp Coconut Waffles, Avocado Cheesecake, and Wall-to-Wall Walnut Brownies -- put the good fats back on your table, and McCullough offers spirited advice on everything from the best cooking oils and tastiest canned tuna to nutritional supplements and testing for your fatty-acid profile. Her hundreds of thousands of low-carb fans will be overjoyed to see that most of the recipes here are perfect for them as well. Fran McCullough is the author of the best-selling The Low-Carb Cookbook and Living Low-Carb. She won a James Beard Award for Great Food Without Fuss and, since 1999, has been the editor of the annual Best American Recipes anthology series. A graduate of Stanford University, McCullough began her career as an editor, discovering Sylvia Plath, Pulitzer Prize winner N. Scott Momaday, and National Book Award winner Robert Bly as well as Richard Ford. She also edited and published a distinguished list of cookbook authors, including Diana Kennedy, Paula Wolfert, and Deborah Madison. Her website address is www.blackdirt.net/lowcarb
Here is the secret to achieving long-term success on a low-carb diet. With foolproof strategies for controlling binges and cravings, invaluable tips on eating in restaurants, guidelines for dealing with sudden weight gain, and more than 175 delicious new recipes, Living Low-Carb is a godsend for the millions of American dieters now dedicated to the low-carb lifestyle.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.