- Table View
- List View
Groen examines medical librarianship, tracing its history, and considering changes in the field caused by developments in information technology and telecommunications.<P> She attempts to understand why librarians make certain choices and develop certain services. She draws on her own experiences as a medical librarian and in associations and defines three core values of medical librarians: providing access to the medical literature, empowering and educating library users, and preserving the wisdom of the past. Discussion revolves around access to clinical information and consumer health information in the internet age, challenges to providing access, alternative methods, and communication. The book is meant for medical librarians, professors, and other library and information professionals.<P> Groen has been affiliated with Falk Library of the Health Professions, U. of Pittsburgh, and the medical library at McGill U. in Canada. Annotation ©2007 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.