Assistive technology is essential in todays world to enable people who are blind or visually impaired to participate fully in school, work, and life. But which assistive technology tools are right for your students? This comprehensive handbook is the essential resource for teachers of students with visual impairments, administrators, technology professionals, and anyone who needs to keep up with the ever-changing world of technology. Assistive Technology For Students Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired: A Guide to Assessment contains a wealth of technical information translated into clear, user-friendly terms, including: An overview of the full range of assistive technology that students can use to manage information in print or electronic formats-whether they use vision, touch or hearing to access information How to select appropriate tools and strategies A structured process for conducting a technology assessment Detailed assessment forms that can be used to determine students technology needs and solutions to address them Advice on writing up program recommendations based on assessment results Reproducible, blank assessment forms
This handbook provides teachers with practical tips and advice on improving literacy skills for students with low vision with easy-to-understand explanations of vital topics such as interpreting eye reports, performing functional vision assessments, and working with low vision service providers along with chapters on games and activities that teachers can use in their classrooms.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.