- Table View
- List View
Dictyostelium discoideum is a well-establish eukaryotic model organism that offers unique advantages for studying fundamental cellular processes, including signal transduction, random and directed cell motility, cytokinesis, endocytosis and vesicle transport and development. Dictyostelium is also increasingly used for the investigation of human disease genes and the crosstalk between host and pathogen. The availability of the genome sequence at a mouse click together with a whole range of supporting information and resources along with a powerful armoury of molecular genetics techniques have considerably enhanced the experimental attractiveness of D. discoideum in recent years. The second edition of Dictyostelium discoideum Protocols incorporates the most recent developments in a number of fields. The book is divided into four parts. The first part provides an introduction to the amoebozoa and community resources. The second part presents large-scale analysis methods made possible by the completion of the Dictyostelium genome sequence. The third part is dedicated to molecular genetics techniques, cell biological, biochemical and biophysical methods. The chapters in the fourth part describe the use of Dictyostelium as a model system to study vesicle formation, trafficking and infection by bacterial pathogens. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular BiologyTM series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and key tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Authoritative and practical, Dictyostelium discoideum Protocols, Second Edition seeks to aid scientists in the application of innovating techniques to study a range of fundamental biological processes in this attractive model organism.
Although initially described as major regulators of cytoskeletal remodeling, Rho GTPases have been implicated in the establishment of polarity, endocytosis, vesicle trafficking, morphogenesis, cytokinesis, transcriptional activation, cell cycle progression, and apoptosis, to mention a few. In addition, Rho GTPases have acquired medical relevance because of their participation in tumorigenesis and metastasis, in cardiovascular conditions, and as targets of infectious agents. The field has broadened even more with the contribution of studies in model organisms (plants, amoebas, fungi, invertebrates), each adding a particular view to the complexity of the family and vastly enriching our perception of these important signaling components. Divided into five convenient sections, Rho GTPase: Methods and Protocols provides an historical overview of the field and an account of the phylogenetics of the Rho family, general biochemical methods, and functional assays that allow monitoring the consequences of manipulating Rho GTPases in a variety of contexts. Additionally, the volume devotes a section to advanced imaging methods and to recently developed high throughput methods, closing with techniques specifically designed for studies in selected non-mammalian model organisms. Written in the successful Methods in Molecular BiologyTM series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible protocols, and notes on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Authoritative and easily accessible, Rho GTPase: Methods and Protocols provides techniques that are standard for researchers in the field but also includes protocols for those who, being already familiar with some of the techniques, wish to explore additional aspects.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.