- Table View
- List View
This terrifying anthology contains some of the best in American ghost stories, from some of the best American short fiction writers. Contents: Double Vision (Mary Higgins Clark); This Is Death (Donald E. Westlake); Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes (Harlan Ellison); Little Jimmy (Lester del Rey); Poor Little Saturday (Madeleine L'Engle); On 202 (Jeff Hecht); Ransom Cowl Walks the Road (Nancy Varian Berberick); School for the Unspeakable (Manly Wade Wellman); The Stormsong Runner (Jack L. Chalker); Harry's Ghost (Talmage Powell); Herbert West--Reanimator (H. P. Lovecraft); Caller in the Night (Burton Kline); Professor Kate (Margaret St. Clair); The Guns of William Longley (Donald Hamilton); Clay-Shuttered Doors (Helen R. Hull); The Stranger (Ambrose Bierce); Night-Side (Joyce Carol Oates); Drawer 14 (Talmage Powell); The Jest of Warburg Tantavul (Seabury Quinn); One of the Dead (William Wood); Emmett (Dahlov Ipcar); Night Court (Mary Elizabeth Counselman); The Boarded Window (Ambrose Bierce); The Ghosts of Steamboat Coulee (Arthur J. Burks); He Walked By Day (Julius Long); The Phantom Farmhouse (Seabury Quinn); Stillwater, 1896 (Michael Cassutt); Ride the Thunder (Jack Cady); The Resting Place (Oliver LaFarge).
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.