- Table View
- List View
While issues of constitutional interpretation are often occasions of great public controversy, Cross (law, U. of Texas) argues that the interpretation of statutes is of far greater practical consequence. It this volume he reviews the theoretical arguments and empirical evidence relevant to the efforts by legal scholars to construct a systematic structure for statutory interpretation. He first presents the "delegation construct," wherein judicial authority to interpret statutes must be considered as derived from Congressional intent, even as frequent ambiguity with regard to Congressional intent is admitted. He then analyzes the leading methods and theories of statutory interpretation--textualism, legislative intent, interpretive canons, and pragmatism--particularly assessing them against the problem of willful and outcome-oriented judging. Next, he examines the practices of the Supreme Court in some 100 cases decided during the Rehnquist Court, finding pluralism in the interpretive approaches applied to cases and assessing the impact of ideological bias. Finally, he assesses the practices of lower courts, finding that textualism and pragmatism has boomed. He also finds that textualism tended to lead to negative citations that distinguished or declined to apply Supreme Court holdings, thus casting some doubt on the clarity and value of textualist interpretive methods. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.