- Table View
- List View
If you start talking early enough, kids will listen. FOR MANY PARENTS, the talk is one of the most dreaded rites of passage in the child-raising experience--but it doesn't have to be. The key is to start early when talking about sex with your child. In Dr. Fred Kaeser's progressive approach, parents become their child's first resource for sexual information (instead of ceding control to peers, the school system, or the media) in order to have a lasting and positive influence over their child's sexual development. As the former director of health in the New York City public schools, there's nothing Dr. Kaeser hasn't been asked by kids, or by parents. And he has seen firsthand the results of our increasingly sexualized youth culture, and how it's making children grow up faster than ever these days. From sexting to cyberbullying, challenges and pressures abound--even for kids in kindergarten. This means that parents must begin laying the groundwork for basic conversations about sex when their child is as young as three years old. Parents then build their discussions on this early foundation, introducing more information at developmentally appropriate ages (for example, talking about puberty with your eight-year-old, and discussing safe sex with your ten-year-old). What Your Child Needs to Know About Sex (and When) goes far beyond the birds and the bees to discuss uncomfortable issues with a winning frankness and empowering attitude. It offers families the tools they need for navigating how and when to have positive dialogues about sexuality and helps parents learn to use everyday teachable moments. Open communication about sex with your children isn't necessarily easy, but it can be done; this indispensable book will guide you every step of the way.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.