- Table View
- List View
The stories range from ghosts on ships and in lighthouses to sea serpents and underwater spirits; from ships that "talk'' to their captains to spectres who dwell on the shore. This is a not-so-serious investigation of truly believed superstitions and stories that have become a part of the lore of the Great Lakes from the early 1700s until present. Collected and set aside during years of the author's historical research, they are a part of the maritime tradition of the Great Lakes. Includes bibliographical references and index.
From the Book Jacket: Lighthouse Tales tells the story of the exciting human side of lightkeeping. It describes the deadly storms, killing fogs and numbing loneliness those who "kept the lights" endured. Stories of wreck and rescue, death and sacrifice, all thread their way through the pages of this remarkable tribute to the "wickies" of a bygone era. The book speaks of the courage of the old time keepers and their families, not just in rescuing shipwreck victims but also in the tenacity of their daily lives. Lighthouse Tales will appeal greatly to anyone interested in the wonders of the Great Lakes, historians, sailors, lighthouse fanatics and people just looking for a roaring good story. The book is thoroughly illustrated with rare photographs. Narratives include: The thrilling story of the steamer GEORGE W. PERKINS and it's close encounter with Lansing Shoal Light during the height of the infamous 1940 Armistice Day storm. Superior Shoal and the lighthouse that wasn't. The death of six brave Coast Guardsmen at Oswego, New York in 1942. Poverty Island Light and the mysterious treasure. And many more thrilling tales of "keeping the lights!"
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.