- Table View
- List View
Like his Russian contemporary Otto von Kotzebue, who preceded him at Guam by sixteen months (November 1817) and with a comparable mix of reprovisioning and scientific aims, Louis Claude de Freycinet (1779-1842) of L'Uranie (ex-Ciotat) came to the Mariana Islands as a veteran of mid-Pacific exploration. Captain Kruzenshtern's Nadezhda had been Kotzebue's "floating academy" in 1803-06, while Freycinet had - with his elder brother Henri -sailed with Baudin in the celebrated Geographe and Naturaliste to Australasia and a possible collision with the British. As an officer of literary bent. Ensign de Freycinet maintained a journal on the strength of which he afterwards became the Baudin expedition's somewhat partial annalist. His sober temperament and naval competence, together with a wide spectrum of scientific interests, lent real importance to the record of his three-month stay on Guam (17 March - 6 June 1819) large parts of which are offered here in English for the first time.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.