Historical fiction about the battle for Texan independence from Mexico, as witnessed by a 13-year-old boy. Reading Level 5-8 Interest Level 6-8.
While living in Texas in 1858, fourteen-year-old Caleb faces a dilemma in deciding whether or not to assist fugitive slaves in their run for freedom.
Willie Delamer was coming home to Clear Fork, where his brother Sam and sidekick Romney Fairchild were the scourge of the valley, intimidating and murdering homesteaders to obtain their land. So even old friends like the Cobbs and Slocums weren't prepared to take too kindly to Willie. But Willie was a fighter, a good one, and he wasn't about to lose his friends or their land to the evil Fairchild. It would be a hard battle, with high stakes and terrible odds. But at some point every man has to take a stand for what he believes in, even if it kills him. ...
In this fact-based story, fourteen-year-old drummer boy Orion Howe displays great bravery during a Civil War battle at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Jericho Wetherby yearns for adventure, so he is thrilled when his father decides to move the family from Tennessee to Texas. In a lively first-person narrative, Jericho relates a string of colorful happenings on the westward trail. "A fast-paced, action-packed pioneer story". --Kirkus Reviews. Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.
Fourteen-year-old Frank leaves his mountain home in the South to help the patriot cause during the Revolutionary War.
Recounts the courageous exploits of Willie Johnston, an eleven-year-old Civil War drummer, who became the youngest recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
When his father returns from the war in 1865, fourteen-year-old Alby finds his beloved Pa a changed man and can only hope that they will be friends again.
A fourteen-year-old ferry worker joins the army to fight for Texas's independence.
When his little brother is carried off by raiding Comanches, fourteen-year-old Lige disguises himself as an Indian and joins a former slave in a bold rescue attempt.
Thirteen-year-old Ransom (later dubbed "Red Cap") thought fighting in the Civil War would be an adventure--until the day of his first battle. "A sober but important contribution to the growing number of Civil War novels".
Fourteen-year-old Henry Severn is ship's boy and lookout on the Banshee. This new British ship is designed to carry goods through the line of Yankee ships blocking trade between the Confederate states and Britain during the Civil War. On their many runs through the blockade, Henry and the rest of the crew risk discovery and destruction by the U.S. Navy. Everyone is counting on Henry to spot the enemy ships. Will Henry's keen eyes save the Banshee from capture? Young readers will enjoy experiencing the high-seas adventure of running the blockade, as popular author and noted Civil War historical G. Clifton Wisler draws from historical accounts to tell this exciting story of America's past.
Willie Delamer dreams of honor and glory as he leaves home to fight the Yankees with his father. Outfitted in a dashing uniform, Willie marches proudly with the Second Texas regiment to take a stand beside the Tennessee River. Willie couldn't have imagined what war was really like, the horrors he would encounter in battle, and the tragedy that would strike his family.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.