Jack Teller is through with the CIA--until the Berlin station is contacted by a Colonel in the East German Stasi just days before President John F. Kennedy's scheduled visit to the Wall. The Stasi officer has an important message--and he will speak to no one but Jack. The informant claims a treacherous plot is brewing to assassinate the American president in Germany-a conspiracy originating at the highest levels of the U.S. government. Only Jack Teller believes the threat is real, and it has left him alienated and alone in a divided city that holds too many dark secrets. And if he forgets the two essential truths of the espionage game-that lies are currency and nothing is what it seems--he won't live to prevent a global catastrophe.
Summer 1940. With Europe in the iron grip of Hitler's war machine, stuntman Jack Teller arrives in neutral Lisbon on the arm of international screen legend Lili Sterne. The German-born actress has given Jack the job of finding her childhood friend, Eva Lange, who escaped Berlin one step ahead of the Nazi terror. But he's not the first to come looking for Eva. The man who preceded him-top Hollywood detective Eddie Grimes-ended up dead . . . on the night he found Eva. Following leads that take him from the glittering nightclubs of the Estoril coast-where he rubs elbows with the likes of Edward, Duke of Windsor, and his scheming wife, Wallis Simpson-into Lisbon's dank and seedy backstreets, Jack searches for answers among the deceptions and lies of the dangerous city. A shattering discovery along the way takes him to the perilous boulevards of occupied Paris and propels him into the heart of a nightmare, where his actions could change the course of the war.
Tom Gabbay plots his most riveting tale yet: Agent Jack Teller had to make an ugly choice in his youth . . . and now, decades later, he and the United States must deal with the blowback. Tehran 1953. Jack Teller, a new recruit to the recently established Central Intelligence Agency, finds himself in Iran posing as a high-level American oil executive as part of Operation Ajax, the agency's first attempt to overthrow the government of a sovereign nation. Torn between loyalty to his country's policies and sympathy for the hopes of a fledgling democracy, Jack must ultimately pick which side he will betray. It is a decision that will affect the future of the Middle East and, eventually, the world. Twenty-six years later, in 1979, Jack returns to a very different Iran. The country is in the grip of a religious revolution, and the streets of the capital city are filled with daily rantings against The Great Satan. Jack's attempt to save one man from Islamic justice--a man whom he had, at one time, called a friend--leads him into the heart of an emerging struggle between the West and a new and dangerous ideology. Divided by conflicting loyalties, a young Jack Teller made a fateful choice that would reverberate for decades. In The Tehran Conviction, Tom Gabbay masterfully interweaves politics and suspense in a searing tale of espionage and betrayal that reveals the unexpected costs our decisions hold for us--and for history.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.