- Table View
- List View
[From the Back cover:] "Thirteen-year-old Addie Mills has special feelings for her new teacher, Mr. Davenport. Her immature friends don't understand her feelings, but Addie knows this is more than just a schoolgirl crush. Addie's sure her classmate Billy Wild will invite her to the Valentine's Dance, and she can't understand it when he asks another girl. Then Addie decides Billy's too young for her anyway, especially since Mr. Davenport has promised to tell her something special at the dance. Then, on that magical night, Mr. Davenport's news takes Addie by surprise. Why does love have to be so confusing?" The three other books about Addie by Gail Rock are in the Bookshare collection. Look for The House Without A Christmas Tree, The Thanksgiving Treasure and A Dream for Addie.
[From the front dust jacket flap:] "The Clear River Clarion is just a small weekly newspaper. And there is rarely any news in it that everyone in town doesn't already know. That's why twelve-year-old Addie Mills is surprised to read that a real actress is in Clear River that spring of 1948. Despite her father's protests, Addie is determined to visit the glamorous actress, Constance Payne. She does just that, and finds Constance as beautiful and exotic as she had imagined her. Addie soon realizes that even though they are thirty years apart in age, she and Constance share something special: daydreams and creativity, and an unwillingness to settle for an ordinary life. With the help of a sympathetic grandmother and a father who can be kind despite his harsh manner, Addie lends her support and understanding to Constance. And from Constance, Addie learns to hold on to her dreams, and not to be afraid. A Dream for Addie is adapted from the CBS Television Special, "The Easter Promise."
[From the back cover:] "Ten-year-old Addie Mils can't understand why her father won't let her have a Christmas tree. It's something she wants more than anything--but even Addie's tree-loving Grandma can't get Addie's father to change his mind. Then Addie finds a way to make her dream come true. Will her father find some Christmas spirit in his own heart and share her happiness?" You'll find more books about Addie in the bookshare collection. Look for The Thanksgiving Treasure, Addie and the King of Hearts and A Dream for Addie.
[from the back cover] "Addie Mills has decided that this Thanksgiving is going to be different. Inspired by a discussion in school about the real meaning of the holiday, Addie invites a guest over for Thanksgiving dinner. Trouble is--the guest happens to be Old Man Rhenquist, her father's worst enemy. Her father is furious, but Addie knows that she should befriend the lonely old man anyway. What Addie doesn't know is that Rhenquist owns the one thing she's always wished for--a beautiful horse! Will Addie's new friend let her ride the horse of her dreams?" This is a touching, nostalgic story great for families to read together, or for anyone from age 9 through adult to read for pleasure.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.