- Table View
- List View
When gold was discovered in California in 1848, word spread quickly throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. Soon, the United States was inundated with immigrants who sought their fortunes. The influx of Asians into the West resulted in controversial rulings by Congress and in racial discrimination by ordinary Americans. However, many Asians made lasting contributions to the settlement of the West -- from working on the transcontinental railroad to the cultivation of the Bing cherry. This book chronicles the achievements of the talented and diverse group of people known as Asian-Americans.
An account of the first permanent English settlement in North America, with all its tragedies and disasters, established in 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia.
Discusses the mass relocation of thousands of Japanese Americans during World War II, profiling individuals such as Daniel Inouye, Yoshiko Lchida, and George Takei.
Children can imagine being witnesses to history-in-the-making in this series that explores important events in United States history. This book discusses the history and significance of the Liberty Bell.
Describes the history of the Library of Congress, the largest library in the world, and discusses its current collections and challenges.
Describes the life and times of the American patriot from Massachusetts, and his effect on the American Revolution.
Describes the history of the thirteen original English colonies in America, including their early exploration, settlement, and regional differences.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.