- Table View
- List View
When gold was discovered in California in 1848, word spread quickly throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia. Soon, the United States was inundated with immigrants who sought their fortunes. The influx of Asians into the West resulted in controversial rulings by Congress and in racial discrimination by ordinary Americans. However, many Asians made lasting contributions to the settlement of the West -- from working on the transcontinental railroad to the cultivation of the Bing cherry. This book chronicles the achievements of the talented and diverse group of people known as Asian-Americans.
An account of the first permanent English settlement in North America, with all its tragedies and disasters, established in 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia.
Discusses the mass relocation of thousands of Japanese Americans during World War II, profiling individuals such as Daniel Inouye, Yoshiko Lchida, and George Takei.
Children can imagine being witnesses to history-in-the-making in this series that explores important events in United States history. This book discusses the history and significance of the Liberty Bell.
Describes the history of the Library of Congress, the largest library in the world, and discusses its current collections and challenges.
Describes the life and times of the American patriot from Massachusetts, and his effect on the American Revolution.
Describes the history of the thirteen original English colonies in America, including their early exploration, settlement, and regional differences.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.