- Table View
- List View
Increasing numbers of people with type 1 diabetes, all of whose lives depend on insulin, as well as type 2 diabetics, have already adopted the insulin pump, which replaces a regimen of insulin shots with a continuous delivery of insulin. Yet many who stand to benefit from "the pump" are put off by not fully understanding the device, and many already using it don't have anyone with whom to compare notes about its use. Now Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer, who has used the pump for more than three years, cuts through common personal fears about the pump and offers insight into the day-to-day challenges-and rewards-of life with it. Drawing on interviews with more than seventy-five pump users, including Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, as well as diabetes experts and other health professionals, Kaplan-Mayer discusses how the pump affects your sex life, dealing with money issues, finding support, counting carbohydrates, and much more. Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified offers knowledgeable, informative, reassuring advice that all pump users-current and future-will find extremely valuable. Charts and tables add to this valuable insider's guide.
The essential guide that "provides an organized and systematic approach to demystify[ing] the complexities of insulin and glucose regulation"- Diabetes Source
Whether you're following a diet plan that requires carb-counting, you have diabetes, or simply because you are conscious of the quantity of carbs you consume, The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting is the all-in-one resource for practically and effectively managing your carb intake. Certified diabetes educator, type 1 diabetic, and Think Like a Pancreas author Gary Scheiner focuses on carb counting in a real-world context, and his explanations and advice-in addition to being complete and thoroughly accurate-are geared towards the most common foods and eating habits. The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting tells you everything you need to accurately keep track of your carb intake, including: The basic rationale for and the theory behind carb-counting, as well as explanations of simple to advanced techniques How to read and understand food labels, and how to estimate the nutritional values of unlabelled foods Resources for carb counting at major restaurant chains An explanation of the glycemic index and its influence on carb-counting Adjusting for fiber and sugar substitutes A comprehensive listing of exchanges, carb factors, and glycemic index values, as well as the carb and fiber values for 2,500 foods
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.