- Table View
- List View
Reginald loves making beautiful classical music. Practicing to develop his talent is a pleasure for the little boy whose mother offers encouragement and listens with equal pleasure. As he diligently prepares for a recital, his father, the manager of the Dukes, a down-on-its-luck team in the Negro national League, appoints his son bat boy in hopes of inspiring Reginald to follow in his footsteps and prepare for a career in professional baseball. Reginald would much rather spend his time mastering his recital pieces, but he is also anxious to please his father. Though well meaning, the little boy causes disaster on the baseball diamond. To prevent further mishaps, he is sent to the bench to harmlessly play his violin. The lovely music unexpectedly brings out the best in the Dukes and Papa listens more appreciatively than he has ever before. In this story of family love, Papa gains pride in his son's ambition and gives the boy whole hearted support. The volunteer who scanned this book has written appealing descriptions of the beautiful water color illustrations. Gavin Curtis has written a satisfying, affectionately told, short story of warm family bonds, set at a time when the prowess of players for the Negro National League is rewarded and they begin merging with the formerly all white teams. This is good reading for anyone from preschool to adult.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.