- Table View
- List View
The third "entertaining...and tasty read" (Entertainment Weekly) in the Daphne Martin Cake mystery series. Daphne Martin's life is pretty sweet right now--she has a loving boyfriend, a popular cake decorating company, and has recently entered into a cake competition in town. But when she attends a class with a famously ornery celebrity chef, all of that threatens to change. The chef is found beaten to death with a cake stand after his first lesson, and he has more enemies than anyone can count. So it's a shock to Daphne when she immediately comes under police suspicion. And on top of that, her boyfriend tells her he's considering a career move--to Kentucky. To a company run by an old girlfriend! And, there's still the cake competition Daphne has to win. Daphne will need to put her wits to the test again--with the help of her nosy friend Myra--in order to clear her name, win the competition, and salvage her romance.
Dead as a . . . dentist? They say sugar is bad for your teeth, but can it actually kill you? The Brea Ridge police seem to think so when they find cake decorator Daphne Martin wielding an oversized plastic toothbrush over a dentist's dead body. Daphne moved back to her small Virginia hometown just months ago to open her Daphne's Delectable Cakes business and already she's been mixed up in murder. Now she's got to prove her sweet innocence again. After hours of police questioning, Daphne returns home to find Elvis Presley in her driveway. She's certain she's hallucinating until the leather-clad hunk orders up a pink Cadillac cake for a convention of the Elvis impersonators. Daphne accepts, but her reporter-boyfriend Ben is suspicious of Elvis's intentions. Does the King want to make Daphne his confectionery queen? Or is the convention a ruse for a more sinister operation? Daphne's own investigation into Dr. Bainsworth's murder, meanwhile, reveals the dentist made as many enemies as he did fillings. Just about anyone could have done him in, but it's up to Daphne to find the killer--and finish Elvis's cake--before she's the one singing "Jailhouse Rock."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.