- Table View
- List View
Canada (president of the Rheedlen Centers for Children and Families in New York City) offers a gripping memoir of his own youth and adulthood, as well as a description of his vision for a better future for children growing up in a frightening world of poverty, automatic weapons, and the continual threat of violence. Annotation c. by Book News, Inc., Portland, Or.
From a troubled youth navigating the mean streets of the South Bronx to an inspiring educational activist who evokes praise from the likes of President Barack Obama, Geoffrey Canada has made a remarkable personal journey that cemented his dedication to underserved youth. His award-winning work was featured in Davis Guggenheim's documentary Waiting for "Superman," and he has been hailed by media, activists, teachers, and national leaders. Michelle Obama called him "one of my heroes," and Oprah Winfrey refers to him as "an angel from God." Here, Canada draws on his years of work with inner-city youth and on his own turbulent boyhood to offer a moving and revelatory look at the little-understood emotional lives of boys. And who better for this task than the man Elizabeth Mehren of the Los Angeles Times calls "one of this country's leading advocates for youth."From the Trade Paperback edition.ndelibly of the young boy he once was, one desperately needing a father's love, and of the crucial issues-fatherhood, mentors, self-esteem, faith, healing, and more-that must be negotiated as boys reach up for manhood. A moving and revelatory report by a dedicated father and gifted child advocate.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.