- Table View
- List View
A loved book lifts you -- comforts, excites, entices. Book, in words and paintings, captures the feeling of opening to page one -- for the first or the fiftieth time - and entering the worlds of drama, imagination, and fun promised beyond it. A girl in red flannel pj's reaches toward a panel in the night sky. The panel, one of four, bears a B. Light floods the girl's face, all anticipation, for she is all readers.And then she is inside, inside the B-O-O-K, words streaming toward her, beckoning, circling her, music in their meaning and their sound. A castle, a cave - its walls dancing with wild ponies, one of which joins the girl on her journey -- these are passing wonders on the way to the source.
Having been forced to act as mother and housekeeper during Mama's illness, Amanda has a holiday in Memphis, far removed from her family, and finds her world expanding even as she grows to understand and appreciate her background.
Ginny was not born a pirate.<P><P> But since her birth she was headed in that direction. This book tells the story of Ginny's voyage toward earning herself an eye patch--a voyage made mostly at school.<P> No other kid there had the honor.<P> Words and pictures offer up a double helping of surprise on the subject of seeing.<P> Winner of the Schneider Family Book Award
Sonny is only one of the spies at the Bradshaw house in Mozier, Alabama. But as a child he saw a tray full of dinner come flying across the front hall at his father. His mother's aim was dead on. And Daddy's departure promptly followed. Loretta, Sonny's older sister, spies by eavesdropping. As she tells him, "How else am I going to survive in a family tight-lipped as tombs?" But the kids' spying only scratches the surface of what's really going on in this 1950s family in the deep South. While Deaton, the youngest, worries about pirates and vampires, and Uncle Marty, family protector, serves up scripture with every bite at the Circle of Life donut shop, somebody is watching. Somebody unsuspected by Sonny. But at thirteen he knows something's fishy, and he intends to find out what. That's why one Friday after Uncle Marty pays him for dishwashing at the Circle of Life, he sneaks out of town, first by bike and then by bus. Selma, his mama; Mamby; Nissa; Uncle Sink; Aunt Roo; his sister and brother -- nobody from that all-too-serious but often hilarious crew has a clue where he's gone. And even Sonny can't say exactly what he's after, until those tight-lipped tombs start talking, and life in the house on Rhubarb changes for good.
An artist raises sheep, shears them, cards and spins the wool, dyes it, and then weaves a colorful picture of the Kentucky pasture where her lambs were born.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.