- Table View
- List View
Each title in the Allyn & Bacon Johnson & Grant Casebook Series presents three to four in-depth cases in a different topic area, prefaced by an introduction to generalist social work practice. Allyn & Bacon Casebook Series for Substance Abuse, First Edition by Jerry Johnson and George Grant provides students with personal and intimate glimpses into the thinking and actions of experienced practitioners working with with substance abusing clients. The contributors to this casebook combined many decades of social work experience and teaching to create a one-of-a-kind tool for students to study and analyze how practitioners think about practice.
"Allah has bought from the Umma-the true believers of Islam-their selves and their substance in return for Paradise; they fight in the way of Allah, killing and being killed. Their promise is written in the blood of the moon." -From the Koran, chap. 9, v. 112 The conflict between Islam and the West existed long before the destruction of the World Trade Center and the other events that recently touched America. It goes back hundreds, even thousands, of years. Yet the struggle is upon us now as never before. In this well-reasoned, accessible book, Middle East expert George Grant answers the troubling questions on many believers' minds. Who are the followers of Islam, and what do they believe? What could have motivated those who carried out the acts of terror on September 11? Why has there been tension between Islam and the West for centuries? What are the true meanings of terms such as Ji'had, Intifada, and Dhimma? And is there any hope for peace? The call upon believers now-as always-is to prepare and equip ourselves so that we may stand fast. The Blood of the Moon will help readers better understand the history of Islam and its struggle with the Western world, as well as how Christians can share the message of salvation through Jesus Christ with the followers of Allah.
English-Speaking Justice was first delivered during The Josiah Wood Lectures at Mount Allison University in 1974 and was published by the University in 1978. Anansi is pleased to co-publish the present edition with the University of Notre Dame Press. The text is essentially the same as the Mount Allison edition, except for the expansion of certain citations in the footnotes.
George Grant-philosopher, conservative, Canadian nationalist, Christian-was one of Canada's most significant thinkers, and the author of Lament for a Nation, Technology and Justice, and English-Speaking Justice. In Technology and Empire, his comments on technology, religion, the university, political structures, and the significance of modern life are perhaps the most disturbing and enlightening to come from any Canadian philosopher.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.