- Table View
- List View
As adorably absurd as chickens themselves, this book of charming illustrations and laugh-out-loud funny poultry poems will appeal to anyone with a fowl sense of humor!
Are you the kind of person who always figures out the answers to puzzles or to mysteries? If you are, then this book will challenge you to think harder than you have ever before. Master storyteller George Shannon spins fifteen different- and ancient- tales. Each of the tales is really a riddle to be solved by a clever detective who knows how to pay attention to details and think problems through.
A man is thrown in jail for picking up a rope. A student earns one hundred points on his math and history tests, yet fails both classes. A spider saves a fugitive from a legion of warriors. A farmer buys a cow, a horse, and a donkey, all with a single ear of corn.... Each of the eighteen stories in this book is true, technically. But each is also a lie. In his second collection of "true lies" from around the world, George Shannon challenges young readers to uncover the whole truth. But be careful: a word with more than one meaning can obscure the facts. And a hidden detail can mean the difference between honesty and a twisted truth that is, in its essence, a lie. Can you tell the difference? Can you discover: "What's the truth, the whole truth? And where's the lie?"
Snow is coming, coming soon, so Rabbit needs to find food fast. Just in time, a turnip turns up, and a second one, too. Who in the woods wouldn't want to tuck away an extra turnip for the long winter? Not Rabbit. He chooses a different path--and starts a wave of generosity that spreads among all his forest friends. Admired picture-book team George Shannon and Laura Dronzek have created a heartwarming tale about the true meaning of friendship. Includes an author's note and a chart that translates the Chinese calligraphy in the book.
When a mean dog blocks the path to the garden where a delicious breakfast awaits, Little Chick shows her family how brave and clever she is.
"B is for eggs... D is for puppies...Z is for countdown..." A delightful new twist for learning the ABCs.
In this collection of "lies" from many nations, the challenge is to find the slippery truth. By reading with care and not jumping to conclusions, readers will delight in discovering how these characters lie while at the same time they tell the truth.
Although Willie, 17, has never stopped asking questions about his parents, he has received very few satisfactory answers. He never knew his father, and little remains to document his mother's existence. His grandmother refuses to discuss details about the family, so it is only after her death that Willie discovers the collection of old letters that provides him with information about the past. Through letters his mother received from his father, Willie finds out about his own conception, his father's realization of his homosexuality and the circumstances of his parents' divorce. Willie is both disturbed and intrigued by the shocking story that unfolds, and he begins to understand his parents' complicated relationship as he shares their most intimate moments of love, grief, anger and compassion. In this framework, Shannon explores how two young men of different generations struggle to find their identities. A wide spectrum of deep emotions is conveyed effectively through Willie's thoughts and the confessions of his father. Willie discovers that the past is indeed intricately tied to the present as he recognizes a kinship with the author of the letters. The narrative of this novel is honest and concise; readers will be moved by the sensitive portrayal of each character and the tragedies they endure.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.