- Table View
- List View
A Year Up: How a Pioneering Program Teaches Young Adults Real Skills for Real Jobs -- with Real Successby Gerald Chertavian
The inspiring story of a pioneering program that is redefining urban young adults as economic assets, not deficits. During Gerald Chertavian's many years as a Big Brother, the former technology entrepreneur realized that our nation's "Opportunity Divide" strands millions of young, disadvantaged, yet motivated workers at the bottom of the job ladder. In 2000, Chertavian dedicated his life to closing that divide and Year Up was born. A Year Up is an intensive program that offers low income young adults training, mentorship, internships, and ultimately real jobs--often with Fortune 500 companies. 85 percent of program graduates are employed or in full-time college within four months of graduation. Today, A Year Up serves more than 1,300 students in nine cities across the nation. Following A Year Up class from admissions through graduation, A Year Up lets students share--in their own words--the challenges, failures, and personal successes they've experienced during their program year. This deeply moving and inspirational story also explains Chertavian's philosophy and the program's genesis, offering a road map for real change in our country and a beacon for young adults who want the opportunity to enter the economic mainstream.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.