- Table View
- List View
Durrell dramatically reveals the plight of endangered species and shows us the serious consequences to life and its future on this earth. The islands of Mauritius and Madagascar provide the exotic setting for Durrell's most recent expedition.
The prolific and passionate animal lover/interpreter spins more stories of the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust and his own adventures.
Durrell (The Ark's Anniversary) in his efforts to rescue endangered species. Here he is in Madagascar--with his wife, Lee, and a BBC crew--to film and to capture for breeding the rare aye-aye, a nocturnal lemur of Africa's east coast rain forests.
On an animal-collecting expedition in the Cameroons, assisted by a pack of English Afro-philes and a pack of mongrel dogs, Durrell captures everything from flying mice to booming squirrels.
The author, an English naturalist, recalls his childhood years on the Greek island of Corfu, where his family lived before World War II. He describes his relationships with the many animals he befriended and spins tales about his eccentric family and the local characters who are drawn into their orbit
A potpourri of animal anecdotes, based on hectic days at Gerald Durrell's Jersey zoo and his forays to various corners of the earth to rescue animal species in danger of extinction.
The story begins as Durrell and his wife enter Buenos Aires to start a six-month collecting trip. The plan is to collect animals in areas around Buenos Aires and eventually journey to the southernmost tip of South America to collect geese and ducks.
Travel to Corfu and take part in a riotous birthday party whose guests pursue a stolen refrigerator--which contains all their refreshments--to a remote, deserted beach before settling down to celebrate.
This story of his journey is vintage Durrell: breezy and entertaining as he recounts misadventures and the problems of filming wild animals, serious in his plea for conservation.
Humorous stories of the author's travels and the eccentric people and animals he has encountered. Author was a British naturalist.
"Menagerie Manor" is sure to delight fans of Durrell's beloved classic "My Family and Other Animals" and other accounts of his lifelong fascination with members of the animal kingdom.
When the unconventional Durrell family can no longer endure the damp, gray English climate, they do what any sensible family would do: sell their house and relocate to the sunny Greek isle of Corfu. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the island but ended up as a delightful account of Durrell's family's experiences, from the many eccentric hangers-on to the ceaseless procession of puppies, toads, scorpions, geckoes, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, bats, and butterflies into their home.
If you want to know how to capture, and then make friends with, an ant-eater, an electric eel, a porcupine or a boa constrictor, this is your book.
An account of setting up the Wildlife Preservation Trust in Jersey, England.
What Durrell sees down under are some species that have chalked their own path of evolution and are much different from wildlife in the bigger continents.
The sequel to A Zoo in My Luggage, this is the story of how Durrell and his wife's zoo-building efforts at England's Jersey Zoo led them and a team of helpers on an eight-month safari in Argentina to look for South American specimens. Through windswept Patagonian shores and tropical forests in Argentina, from ocelots to penguins, fur seals to parrots, Durrell captures the landscape and its inhabitants with his signature charm and humor.
What happens when the charming, animal-obsessed boy of the classic memoirs 'My Family and Other Animals' and 'Birds, Beasts and Other Relatives' grows up? He founds a zoo, of course.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.