- Table View
- List View
Durrell dramatically reveals the plight of endangered species and shows us the serious consequences to life and its future on this earth. The islands of Mauritius and Madagascar provide the exotic setting for Durrell's most recent expedition.
The prolific and passionate animal lover/interpreter spins more stories of the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust and his own adventures.
Durrell (The Ark's Anniversary) in his efforts to rescue endangered species. Here he is in Madagascar--with his wife, Lee, and a BBC crew--to film and to capture for breeding the rare aye-aye, a nocturnal lemur of Africa's east coast rain forests.
On an animal-collecting expedition in the Cameroons, assisted by a pack of English Afro-philes and a pack of mongrel dogs, Durrell captures everything from flying mice to booming squirrels.
The author, an English naturalist, recalls his childhood years on the Greek island of Corfu, where his family lived before World War II. He describes his relationships with the many animals he befriended and spins tales about his eccentric family and the local characters who are drawn into their orbit
A potpourri of animal anecdotes, based on hectic days at Gerald Durrell's Jersey zoo and his forays to various corners of the earth to rescue animal species in danger of extinction.
The story begins as Durrell and his wife enter Buenos Aires to start a six-month collecting trip. The plan is to collect animals in areas around Buenos Aires and eventually journey to the southernmost tip of South America to collect geese and ducks.
Travel to Corfu and take part in a riotous birthday party whose guests pursue a stolen refrigerator--which contains all their refreshments--to a remote, deserted beach before settling down to celebrate.
This story of his journey is vintage Durrell: breezy and entertaining as he recounts misadventures and the problems of filming wild animals, serious in his plea for conservation.
Humorous stories of the author's travels and the eccentric people and animals he has encountered. Author was a British naturalist.
"Menagerie Manor" is sure to delight fans of Durrell's beloved classic "My Family and Other Animals" and other accounts of his lifelong fascination with members of the animal kingdom.
Hilarious account of the author's childhood in Corfu in the 1930's. Features an eccentric English family, Gerald's many pets including insects, birds and a dog, and memorable natives of Corfu.
If you want to know how to capture, and then make friends with, an ant-eater, an electric eel, a porcupine or a boa constrictor, this is your book.
An account of setting up the Wildlife Preservation Trust in Jersey, England.
What Durrell sees down under are some species that have chalked their own path of evolution and are much different from wildlife in the bigger continents.
The sequel to A Zoo in My Luggage, this is the story of how Durrell and his wife's zoo-building efforts at England's Jersey Zoo led them and a team of helpers on an eight-month safari in Argentina to look for South American specimens. Through windswept Patagonian shores and tropical forests in Argentina, from ocelots to penguins, fur seals to parrots, Durrell captures the landscape and its inhabitants with his signature charm and humor.
What happens when the charming, animal-obsessed boy of the classic memoirs 'My Family and Other Animals' and 'Birds, Beasts and Other Relatives' grows up? He founds a zoo, of course.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.