- Table View
- List View
This collection provides an overview of what is meant by the term 'biodiversity,' and how we measure it. The collection reviews the different levels of biodiversity, or the 'biodiversity hierarchy' including: genetic and phenotypic diversity; population diversity; species diversity; community diversity; ecosystem diversity; landscape diversity; and historical and ecological biogeographic diversity. Brief definitions of populations, species, communities, and ecosystems are provided, with some introductory discussion of different types of 'species concepts.' The collection defines the terms 'species richness' and 'species evenness' as methods for measuring species diversity, and it discusses the use of species richness as a surrogate for describing overall global biodiversity. The collection reviews the distribution of biodiversity in space, explaining the definitions of alpha, beta and gamma diversity for measuring diversity within and between ecosystems. The environmental factors that affect these patterns of spatial diversity are briefly discussed. The collection also includes a brief review of the different ways by which assessments of spatial diversity are used for conservation planning and management (e.g., based on ecoregions, or biodiversity hotspots and coldspots). The collection concludes with a brief discussion of diversity over geological time.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.