- Table View
- List View
A mother dolphin and her albino calf are in peril in this heart-pounding adventure from the author of the acclaimed Wild Wings.Kara is not sorry she punched Jake in the nose--she simply couldn't stand to hear him say one more nasty thing about her missing mother, or her out-of-work father...or her. But it's more than a broken nose to Jake's family: It's fuel for the fire. They've had it with Kara's family and their devotion to protecting marine life and saving the reef. Dredging the reef will mean fisherman can reel in more money. That's what the town needs. But what the town gets is an unexpected new kid, a Paralympics sailing hopeful named Felix. When a baby albino dolphin caught in old fishing netting washes ashore, Felix and Kara work with vets and specialists to save her and reunite her with her mother, setting off a chain of events that might just save the reef. Written by a veterinarian and brimming with bravery and beauty, this story of friendship, family, and community taps into the radiance of nature and dives into the important, timely issue of environmental protection and ecology.
"The white dolphin is a sign that Mum's out there ..." When they first meet, Kara and Felix can't stand each other. But on discovering an injured dolphin calf on the beach they know they must work together to save it. Now friends, they set out to find the truth behind the disappearance of Kara's mother, and to protect the nearby reef. But powerful people don't want them to succeed. And with the odds stacked against them, how can Kara and Felix make their voices heard?
The majestic Osprey is an endangered bird that hasn't been seen in Scotland for years, so when Iona McNair locates an Osprey nest, she's desperate to keep the bird safe from poachers. She shares her secret with her classmate Callum, and the two become friends as they work to save the Osprey they've named Isis. They're able to get the bird tagged by a preservationist, but after Isis flies to Africa for the winter, her signal becomes stagnant, then lost. Spurred by a promise to Iona, who has fallen ill, Callum is determined to track and save Isis, and a leap of faith and the magic of e-mail connects him with a girl in Gambia who can help him make good--in more ways than one. Set against the dramatic landscapes of Scotland and West Africa, this is a timeless tale of hope and friendship--a heartwarming novel infused with the beauty of nature.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.