Since its first publication, Getting Free has provided a lifeline for thousands of women seeking to free themselves from abusive relationships. With uncomplicated yet motivational language, this book contains all the tools and advice you need to help yourself recognize, respond to, and overcome domestic violence. Practical information is partnered with special exercises designed to identify patterns of behavior - and to ultimately help you make decisions about your life and your future. Each chapter provides solid solutions for issues related to a variety of topics, including emotional abuse, child abuse, financial stability, legal issues, love and fear, same-sex abuse, teen abuse, guilt, and safety - from planning a safe escape to staying safe long after you leave. Book jacket.
If you are a woman being hurt by someone you love, this book is for you. It can help you understand your situation and find ways to change it. This indispensable guide offers straightforward, sensible information on how to establish a safety plan for you and your children, as well as advice on how best to find a safer home. This new edition also includes guidance specifically for Deaf women, immigrant women, rural women, and women with disabilities. It also includes special exercises designed to help you gain self-esteem and decide what you want from a relationship. You will find answers to such questions as: "What is emotional abuse?", "Is it ever right to break up the family?", "How can I protect my children?", "Where can I go if I leave my home?", "But I still love my partner-should I go back?", "How can I find legal help for my situation?", "How do I go about starting over and making new friends?".
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.