- Table View
- List View
Since its first publication, Getting Free has provided a lifeline for thousands of women seeking to free themselves from abusive relationships. With uncomplicated yet motivational language, this book contains all the tools and advice you need to help yourself recognize, respond to, and overcome domestic violence. Practical information is partnered with special exercises designed to identify patterns of behavior - and to ultimately help you make decisions about your life and your future. Each chapter provides solid solutions for issues related to a variety of topics, including emotional abuse, child abuse, financial stability, legal issues, love and fear, same-sex abuse, teen abuse, guilt, and safety - from planning a safe escape to staying safe long after you leave. Book jacket.
If you are a woman being hurt by someone you love, this book is for you. It can help you understand your situation and find ways to change it. This indispensable guide offers straightforward, sensible information on how to establish a safety plan for you and your children, as well as advice on how best to find a safer home. This new edition also includes guidance specifically for Deaf women, immigrant women, rural women, and women with disabilities. It also includes special exercises designed to help you gain self-esteem and decide what you want from a relationship. You will find answers to such questions as: "What is emotional abuse?", "Is it ever right to break up the family?", "How can I protect my children?", "Where can I go if I leave my home?", "But I still love my partner-should I go back?", "How can I find legal help for my situation?", "How do I go about starting over and making new friends?".
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.