- Table View
- List View
To the wild and fabulous country where the Rio Grande makes its big bend, J. O. Langford came in 1909 with his wife and daughter in search of health and a home. High on a bluff overlooking the spot where Tornillo Creek pours its waters into the turbulent Rio Grande, the Langfords built their home, a rude structure of adobe blocks in a land reputed to be inhabited only by bandits and rattlesnakes. Big Bend is the story of the Langfords' life in the rugged and spectacularly beautiful country which they came to call their own. Langford's account is told with the help of Fred Gipson, author of Old Yeller and Hound Dog Man.
This is the true story of a West Texas cowhand.
A young boy repeatedly puts himself in danger in his determination to kill the wild boar that has destroyed his prize watermelon.
When Sam's wife dies, he moves with his three young sons and difficult grandfather back to Texas, buying the ranch his father worked in hopes of restoring the worn out land, and building a better life for his shattered family. Sam's a hard worker, but adjusting back to a ranching life that's changed since he was a boy himself has challenges he didn't anticipate--for him, for Grandpa, and for each of his boys--challenges that might kill them all.
12-year-old Cotton is disappointed when he doesn't get a dog for Christmas. Then he bonds with a young hound while on a hunting trip with his friend and an unusual man named Blackie.
A small twelve-year-old boy's determination to prove he is tough sets him on the trail of a runaway horse.
At first, Travis couldn't stand the sight of Old Yeller<P><P> The stray dog was ugly, and a thieving rascal, too. But he sure was clever, and a smart dog could be a big help on the wild Texas frontier, especially with Papa away on a long cattle drive up to Abilene.<P> Strong and courageous, Old Yeller proved that he could protect Travis's family from any sort of danger. But can Travis do the same for Old Yeller?<P> Newbery Medal Honors book
This is a tale about a dog we called Savage Sam. It's partly about me, too, and about Papa and Little Arliss and a girl named Lisbeth Searcy and some others. But it's mainly about Sam, on account of without him, there wouldn't have been much of a tale to tell or anybody left to tell it. Papa was the one named him Savage Sam. He did it as a joke. This was back when Sam was still just an old clumsy big-footed, rump-sprung pup.
This story of the little red rooster Dick, who trails a herd of longhorns to Dodge City during the dusty days of the Old West, takes its place with stories of Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Old Stormy, and John Henry as one of the classics that endears itself to young and old alike.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.