- Table View
- List View
WAS SHE THEIR SAVIOR OR A DEADLY MENACE ? Now grown to her full psychic powers as Most Senior of the witchlike silth, Marika made a daring plan: to set solar mirrors in space that would end the Winter of the World, heralding a new age for all. Then her old enemies, the rogue tradermales, raised up a champion against her, an alien power that threatened to destroy all that she had worked for. It was to lead Marika to her final battle--one against the forces of nature and the will of her own people. Before its end, she would have to pilot her darkship to touch another world, as she herself faced the final...
This book takes place in a world where superstition and magic are real and civilization struggles to survive.
For four thousand years, the Guardships ruled Canon Space with an iron fist. Immortal ships with an immortal crew roamed the galaxy, dealing swiftly and harshly with any mercantile houses or alien races that threatened the status quo.
Croaker has fallen and, following the Company's disastrous defeat at Dejagore, Lady is one of the few survivors--determined to avenge the Company and herself against the Shadowmasters, no matter what the cost. But in assembling a new fighting force from the dregs and rabble of Taglios, she finds herself offered help by a mysterious, ancient cult of murder--competent, reliable, and apparently committed to her goals. Meanwhile, far away, Shadowmasters conspire against one another and the world, weaving dark spells that reach into the heart of Taglios. And in a hidden grove, a familiar figure slowly awakens to find himself the captive of an animated, headless corpse. Mercilessly cutting through Taglian intrigues, Lady appears to be growing stronger every day. All that disturbs her are the dreams which afflict her by night--dreams of carnage, of destruction, of universal death, unceasing. . .
This is the third Garrett omnibus to be published though these novels can be read independently of one another. This one includes: Deadly Quicksilver Lies; Petty Pewter Gods; and Faded Steel Heat. In the first he is persuaded to look for a teenage girl who may not want to be found and is up against monsters, magic and the mob. In the second, a god has lost his worshippers and has been evicted from his temple. Two competing religions want the real estate and Garrett is hired to find the key that will let one of them acquire the last free temple in the city. In the third, Garrett finds himself in the middle of a case that involves human prejudice against all the other races which turns violent and eventually involves shape changers which is one of the reasons it becomes very difficult to tell friend from foe.
Garrett is once more up against cults and bad guys and even people he trusts. He has only the Dead Man to help him and lots of loyal friends to chip in as they can. This is fun reading.
This omnibus contains the fourth, fifth and sixth books in the Garrett adventures series. Garrett is a private eye in a world where magic works and monsters lurk. This omnibus includes: Old Tin Sorrows; Dread Brass Shadows; and Red Iron Nights.
"Gentleman, the silver spike is loose in the world. It's not the Dominator. He's dead. But the undying black essence that drove him remains. And that could be used by an adept to summon, coerce, and shape powers even I cannot begin to fathom. That spike could become a conduit to the very heart of darkness, an opener of the way that would confer upon .its possessor powers perhaps exceeding even those the Dominator possessed. "Our mission, our holy mission, given the White Rose by Old Father Tree himself, is to recover the silver spike and deliver it for safekeeping, at whatever cost to ourselves, before someone of power seizes upon it and shapes it to his own dark purposes and is, in his turn, shaped--perhaps into a shadow so deep there would be no chance ever for the world to win free."
It should have been a simple job. But for Garrett, a human detective in a world of gnomes, tracking down the woman to whom his dead pal Danny left a fortune in silver is no slight task. Even with the aid of Morley, the toughest half-elf around, Garrett isn't sure he'll make it out alive from a land where magic can be murder, the dead still talk, and vampires are always hungry for human blood.
This is this British Author's first American publication and is fast-paced science fiction. When Else, our hero, wins a fight with a minor god that he is supposed to lose, he suddenly finds himself the center of evil's regard. This is fast-paced and a good intro to Glen Cook's many good books.
THE POWER IN HER MIND brought young Marika at last to the great Maksche Cloister, where her already precocious silth witch-like powers could be honed to an awesome mental weapon. To the tradermales fell the skills of science and technology, while the female silth dominated the world with their mastery of the black arts. In the uneasy tradermale-silth truce, there could be no trust or friendship between the two races. But proud, stubborn Marika was born to break all rules-- maybe even to be her world's destruction. One tradermale was her friend already. And another, closer to her heart than any living being, held a power strong enough to challenge silth domination. Marika had a choice to make, a vow to keep, and a battle to fight with the one they called...
cOLLECTION OF SCIENCE FICTION NOVELS.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.