- Table View
- List View
Twelve-year-old Littlejim, a bookish boy living in a rural North Carolina community in the early years of the twentieth century, hopes to win a newspaper essay contest and thus gain the respect of his stern father.
In 1920 in the mountains of western North Carolina, fourteen-year-old Jim Houston sees his hopes of continuing his education fade when his mother becomes seriously ill and his logger father must deal with the underhanded dealings of outside businessmen.
With her father and brothers gone to serve in the Civil War and her Mother sick, thirteen-year-old Valor ignores what is proper behavior for a girl, and takes matters into her own hands and dresses as a boy to avenge a wrongdoing and defend her North Carolina family.
Bestselling author Gloria Houston lovingly recounts the story of her great-aunt's quiet yet remarkable life. Born and raised in the Appalachian Mountains, Arizona spent her childhood dreaming of all the faraway places she would one day visit. Though she never did travel to those places, Arizona did become a teacher and helped generations of children craft their own dreams.
The Armistice has been declared, but Ruthie's father can't be found. So, in accordance with the traditions of their Appalachian town, it falls to Ruthie and her mother to bring home the perfect Christmas tree to donate to the town.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.