- Table View
- List View
More than 140 years since his death, the enduring legacy of a great president, an American success story, and the celebrated leader of the Civil War continues. Abraham Lincoln: Quotes, Quips, and Speechescaptures the essence of the sixteenth president. In addition to Lincoln's own words, Gordon Leidner includes insights into the man by those who knew him best, from his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, to his greatest political opponent, Stephen A. Douglas. Numerous photographs add to the charm and usefulness of the book.
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves...."-President Abraham Lincoln The third title in Gordon Leidner's successful series, The Civil War: Quotes, Quips, And Speeches captures the essence of this bloody and inevitable conflict through the insights, inspirations, and wisdoms of those who lived it. Featuring more than 220 quotes from both Union and Confederate soldiers and civilians, as well as excerpts from some of our country's most enduring speeches, The Civil War documents the chronology of one of the ultimate turning points in American history.
Filled with over two hundred quotes from John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and more, The Founding Fathers: Quotes, Quips, and Speeches captures the essence of America's most influential leaders in an elegant collection that explores the American Revolution. Discover their thoughts on honesty, democracy, perseverance, hope, liberty, and leadership, and read from landmark speeches of the day--from Samuel Adam's 1776 address to the Continental Congress to George Washington's resignation speech. Hear the voices of the people who changed the world. Praise for Abraham Lincoln: Quotes, Quips, and Speeches "An easy and enjoyable introduction to one of America's greatest presidents and heroes."--Tom Schwartz, historian emeritus for the state of Illinois "Gordon Leidner provides readers with a toothsome smorgasbord of Abraham Lincoln's wit and wisdom. This volume is an excellent introduction to the Great Emancipator's humanity, philosophy, humor, and eloquence."--Michael Burlingame, Chancellor Naomi B. Lynn Distinguished Chair in Lincoln Studies, University of Illinois-Springfield "Abraham Lincoln had the God-given talent to express himself in words that the people felt and understood. [This] book enables readers to sample and touch the greatness of Lincoln through his letters, public papers, and speeches."--Edwin C. Bearrs, historican emeritus, National Park Service
"Simply the best book that has been published on this great president's humor and stories...Everyone interested in Abraham Lincoln will want to read this."--William C. Harris, author of Lincoln and the Border StatesAbraham Lincoln has long been admired for his leadership, honesty, and eloquence. But despite his somber reputation, the sixteenth president was quite funny. With an uncanny ability to mimic others and an irresistible midwestern twang, Lincoln, in fact, could be downright hilarious.Brimming with his funniest quips, jokes, and stories, Lincoln's Gift explores the crucial role humor played throughout his tumultuous professional and private life. Perfect for history buffs and Lincoln enthusiasts alike, this clever and captivating biography reveals how America's greatest president used his lighter side to lead the country through one of its darkest times, the Civil War."Gordon Leidner ingeniously blends a study of Lincoln's humor with an account of his life, showing how our sixteenth president was not always a 'man of sorrows' but often a man of laughter, capable alike of enjoying as well as telling a good story."--Michael Burlingame, author of Abraham Lincoln: A Life
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.