- Table View
- List View
A Dictionary of Law Enforcement is the only dictionary available with a primary focus on UK law enforcement terms. Succinct and practical in its approach, it contains over 3,400 entries covering ever aspect of this diverse field, including terms related to law, pathology, forensic medicine, accountancy, insurance, shipping, commerce and trade, criminology, and psychology. Entries are supported by a wealth of practical information, including (where appropriate), citations and references to statutes and legislation. In addition to the definitions, the dictionary also contains five useful appendices: Abbreviations and Acronyms, Recordable Offences, Disclosure Code, Disclosure Guidelines and Disclosure Protocol. Written by two former police officers, both now lecturers in law and criminal investigation, the dictionary fills a significant gap in the law market and will be invaluable to police officers and trainee officers, students and lecturers of criminology, criminal justice, and police studies, and other professionals needing clear definitions of law enforcement terms.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.