On the north coast of Cornwall, residents in the quaint seaside town of Penrick report a terrifying phenomenon--an eerie, glowing apparition that rides the surf at night, adding a weird fascination to this place of picturesque streets, secluded beaches, and abandoned mines.<P><P> Yet Chief Superintendent Powell soon learns that Penrick already harbors unsolved mysteries. For, thirty years ago, someone killed a teenager and left her body to wash up on Penrick Sands--precisely where the apparition now appears. In fact, Powell faces not one but two strangely intertwined puzzles and a double-edged sword of menace. . . .From the Paperback edition.
DETECTIVE-CHIEF SUPERINTENDENT ERSKINE POWELL RETURNS--INVESTIGATING MALICE IN HIS OWN BACKYARD.When a murder victim is discovered in the murky waters of the River Thames, Erskine Powell of Scotland Yard plunges into the most diabolical case of his distinguished career. A second brutal slaying draws Powell even deeper into a tangled web of greed, deception, and blackmail. From Tower Bridge to Soho, from Mayfair to Bloomsbury, Powell throws a dragnet across London, racing against time to link two savage crimes--and stop a cold-blooded killer dead in his tracks. . . .From the Paperback edition.
INTRODUCING ERSKINE POWELL OF SCOTLAND YARD Crime, investigation, punishment. They're all in a day's work to Detective Chief Superintendent Erskine Powell of New Scotland Yard. As a member of the Yard's Murder Squad, Powell tracks miscreants all over London. Now, seeking distance from the criminal constituency--and the bureaucratic drudgery of the Yard--Powell embarks on a salmon-fishing competition in the Scottish Highlands. There, in the castle-dotted countryside along the picturesque River Spey, he seeks peace and seclusion. But a cold-blooded murderer soon turns Powell's haven into a busman's holiday--and a quiet anglers' paradise becomes just as deadly as the mean streets of London.
ERSKINE POWELL OF SCOTLAND YARD INVESTIGATES MURDER ON THE MOORS. On a remote, fog-enshrouded estate in the North York Moors, a murderer lays a cunning trap. The prey, it seems, is Dickie Dinsdale, the greedy landowner who bulldozes people's lives like so many old barns. Easily a dozen residents of Blackamoor would derive pleasure from Dinsdale's slow, painful death. But, Detective-Chief Superintendent Erskine Powell asks himself, which of them is bold enough to do the deed? Is it Dinsdale's old g...
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.