- Table View
- List View
Based on extensive research including visits to most health centres and facilities in Nunavut, Gregory Marchildon and Renée Torgerson have produced a comprehensive review of healthcare in Canada's newest territory. Nunavut: A Health System Profile provides an in-depth examination of population health and healthcare in the territory. Little more than a decade old, Nunavut has a population that consists of thirty-thousand residents living in twenty-five widely dispersed communities. No roads connect the territory's isolated populations and nearly all supplies and equipment are transported by air. Consequently, health service delivery in Nunavut is the costliest in Canada and its operation encounters challenges more extreme than those faced elsewhere. Marchildon and Torgerson consider the historical and demographic context of healthcare in Nunavut, as well as the finances, governance, infrastructure, workforce, and program provisions that define the system. Due to a high incidence of suicide and the psychological upheaval associated with rapid societal change, the authors call particular attention to the treatment of mental health and addictions. Filling a gap in our understanding of one of Canada's most important and expensive social policies, Nunavut: A Health System Profile provides the first comprehensive review of the health system in Nunavut and the distinct health issues the territory faces.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.