- Table View
- List View
Arkansas attorney Gideon Page has no idea what's in store for him when he agrees to defend Dade Cunningham, the Razorback's star receiver, against a charge of rape.
Former Arkansas Public Defender Gideon Page (Expert Testimony, 1991), fired from his new firm, lucks into a high-profile case: defending black psychologist Andrew Chapman on a charge of manslaughter after Chapman tries aversive shock-therapy--without following institutional procedures, and with a cattle prod--on self-abusive teenager Pam Le Master, who shook off her orderly, Leon Robinson, and grabbed the inadequately insulated prod, killing herself. Though Gideon will have to deal with his share of revelations--Leon turns out to be a white supremacist who might have acted maliciously.
The latest in the lawyer novel derby, this effort centers on a murder case that tears apart a born-again Christian group in rural Arkansas. Hotshot defense lawyer Chet Bracken brings in moderately successful Gideon Page to help him defend beautiful Leigh Wallace, charged with murdering her husband. Leigh's father, Shane Norman, head of the Christian Life group, instantly becomes the real chief suspect in Gideon's mind, but he admits his pursuit of the preacher is partially from jealousy--Gideon's impressionable teenage daughter has joined Norman's church group and is shunning her widower dad. Stockley is a lawyer himself (naturally), and he's created a prickly dilemma for Gideon, who risks losing both his daughter and his girlfriend if he pursues the preacher too much. While not matching the breathtaking pace of Scott Turow's novels, this one will nonetheless draw interest with its unusual born-again angle.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.