- Table View
- List View
Arkansas attorney Gideon Page has no idea what's in store for him when he agrees to defend Dade Cunningham, the Razorback's star receiver, against a charge of rape.
Former Arkansas Public Defender Gideon Page (Expert Testimony, 1991), fired from his new firm, lucks into a high-profile case: defending black psychologist Andrew Chapman on a charge of manslaughter after Chapman tries aversive shock-therapy--without following institutional procedures, and with a cattle prod--on self-abusive teenager Pam Le Master, who shook off her orderly, Leon Robinson, and grabbed the inadequately insulated prod, killing herself. Though Gideon will have to deal with his share of revelations--Leon turns out to be a white supremacist who might have acted maliciously.
The latest in the lawyer novel derby, this effort centers on a murder case that tears apart a born-again Christian group in rural Arkansas. Hotshot defense lawyer Chet Bracken brings in moderately successful Gideon Page to help him defend beautiful Leigh Wallace, charged with murdering her husband. Leigh's father, Shane Norman, head of the Christian Life group, instantly becomes the real chief suspect in Gideon's mind, but he admits his pursuit of the preacher is partially from jealousy--Gideon's impressionable teenage daughter has joined Norman's church group and is shunning her widower dad. Stockley is a lawyer himself (naturally), and he's created a prickly dilemma for Gideon, who risks losing both his daughter and his girlfriend if he pursues the preacher too much. While not matching the breathtaking pace of Scott Turow's novels, this one will nonetheless draw interest with its unusual born-again angle.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.